WE ARE LUCKY TO HAVE two fine organs , a one-manual chamber organ (originally from St Luke’s Church) by English builder Noel Mander and a large three-manual instrument.
The instrument from St Luke’s is built in the English 18th-century style, has eight speaking stops on three ranks of pipes, and is controlled by an electric action.
Christ Church’s organ was built in 1953, as an expansion of an earlier instrument by Lewis, which in turn incorporated work by Walker. It has thirty-three speaking stops, together with a large selection of couplers, and is tonally speaking in the English Romantic school of organ-building. It fills the upper two thirds of the South Transept, with the detached console (Noel Mander again) located opposite, in the west corner of the North Transept.
The Christ Church organ has recently benefited from an ‘intensive care package’ from organ builder Gary Owens. Though not perfect (the 1950s wiring needs to be replaced soon) the organ now is powerful and expressive and has a lot of variety available for the discerning organist. If you would like to try the organ for yourself, please book an appointment with the Vicar on 07753616499.